Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Way We Speak About the 2nd Amendment Matters

I grew up in a home where my dad went hunting every year. I remember the elks hanging from the ceiling in our garage and I remember the freezer full of elk meat every winter. I understand the need to hunt.

I don't understand the huge need for guns that our society seems to have developed. Everywhere I read some guy is apoplectic because "his guns are being taken from him." I read about the CEO who talks about guns as his birthright. This is nonsense. Something else is going on, but the conversation has become so convoluted that almost nobody can figure it out.

Let's get this straight. Guns are not a birthright. As it stands, our conversation should be about the 2nd Amendment. But gun rights advocates are taking the argument to a whole new level. In effect, they are saying it is their right to murder people.

This is nonsense. There is no"birthright" to kill or murder people. It really is that simple.

We need to talk about whether we need the 2nd Amendment.

We also need to stop talking about the 2nd Amendment as if it only applies to White people. When I hear people talking about the "Right" to defend themselves I hear White people saying they need to defend themselves from all of the people of color who are ruining our country. This is a conversation that needs to be changed. We do not need to allow the Constitution of the United States to protect racist ideologies.

One more thing. There may be a need for people to hunt and they may need to use guns in order to hunt, but the 2nd Amendment does not deal with the right to hunt in any way, shape or form. The 2nd Amendment talks about militias. The only way to solve this huge issue is for us to talk about guns and our supposed need for guns in a very clear manner. Ideology will not get us anywhere.